July Working Bee – Sunday July 14
Come along to our Majura Paddock Working Bee: horehound blitz, install sturdy protective guards, replant grazing losses – choose your pet activity on Sunday 14 July
- When: Sunday, 14 July from 1.00pm to 4.00pm
- Where: Meet at the Hackett water reservoir close to the Rivett and French Streets intersection; view this map.
- What: Hand-weed horehound around plantings; replace plastic tree guards with wire mesh guards; replant a small number of shrubs that have been lost to grazing.
- Wear and bring: Sun protection, sturdy shoes, old garden clothing with long sleeves and pants. We’ll provide gloves and tools
New FoMM team
After ten years, Waltraud is stepping down as FoMM coordinator. It is difficult to overemphasize how much Waltraud has done during that time to protect and improve Mount Majura. She has inspired so many of us and now we have to ensure that her good work continues while she takes a well earned rest from the main responsibilities. However, it is clear she will continue to be very active on Mount Majura, and will be an important part of our ongoing activities.
At the FoMM meeting held recently on June 27th it was agreed that the FoMM AGM would be held on October 9th. More details of this meeting will be circulated nearer the time. Between now and then Jochen Zeil will act as FoMM covenor, Chris Patterson will continue to act as treasurer, Paul will act as coordinator, Trudy O’Connor will act as secretary and Jenni Marsh will continue to organise walks. Since Paul will be away for the working bees in July, September and October, Waltraud will run the activities on the days concerned but with Paul taking overall planning responsibility. I (Louisa) will will be sending out FoMM’s monthly newsletters and posting stuff on the FoMM website. Please send me any Mount Majura related news items that you think will be of interest to other FoMM members. Just reply to this newsletter email to send me information.
FoMM now on Facebook
For everyone out there who uses Facebook, please visit FoMM’s Facebook page and ‘like’ us. You should also be able to find this page by searching in Facebook. Please let me know if you have any problems with the Facebook page. Share your favourite Mount Majura’s pictures via Facebook and tell all your friends.
Hackett will be celebrating its birthday on September 20/21. It is planned that FoMM will have a presence there to spread the word and hopefully recruit new members.
National Tree Day July 28th
Celebrate National Tree Day 2013 in the Mount Majura nature park with a planting party on Sunday 28 July. Join Shane Rattenbury, Minister for TAMS for an introduction on “how to plant”, help improve grassy woodland and be rewarded by a BBQ from the Majura Mountain Scouts
Where: Mount Majura nature park behind (east of) The Fair in North Watson close to Tay / Ian Nicol Streets intersection. Use the nature park entrance on Antill Street opposite Carotel for a 5-minutes signposted walk to the planting site; there is limited parking available at The Fair residential site, click on this map to view the planting area and access. Car parking: along Antill Street opposite the nature park entrance, limited car parking space along Aspinall Street (Solstice) and Tay Street (The Fair).
- What to wear: appropriate clothing and foot wear, wrap up warmly.
- What to bring: garden gloves, bucket, trowel or small mattock if you have one; please label item with your phone number so that we can reunite left-behinds with the owner.
- Enquiries: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 62477517